"Light on Yoga"
Iyengar’s famous encyclopaedic, "Light on Yoga", was published in 1966 with a forward written by Yehudi Menuhin. Here is an excerpt from the preface:
"It [Yoga] is a technique ideally suited to prevent physical and mental illness and to protect the body generally, developing an inevitable sense of self-reliance and assurance. By its very nature it is inextricably associated with universal laws: for respect for life, truth, and patience are all indispensable factors in the drawing of a quiet breath, in calmness of mind and firmness of will." ("Light on Yoga", Schocken Books, 1966 p12)
Iyengar Yoga is known for precision, alignment and a focus on individual postures and their therapeutic benefits.
Props enable students of varying levels to receive the maximum benefits of each “asana” by aiming for proper alignment rather than completed poses.
Iyengar Yoga follows a truly systematic approach in its teaching of the postures leading the student to advanced levels of practice. Ramon Clares directs our Iyengar Yoga style program.
Yoga Center offers classes in the Iyengar Yoga style as well as Pranayama in the tradition of BKS Iyengar. Pranayama focuses on yogic breathing in seated and supine poses that promote quiet, an inward focus and a salve to the internal organs, the nerves and the consciousness.
B.K.S. Iyengar was the creator and disseminator of this style Iyengar Yoga . Its origins can be traced to a family of orthodox Brahmins of Tamilnadu, known as the "Iyengars", who are devotees of Lord Vishnu and his consort Laksmi. The teachings of B.K.S. Iyengar first became known in the West in 1954.
'Yoga Iyengar' as a Style of Yoga
We defended the use of the phrase Yoga Iyengar or Iyengar Yoga as a referent to a particular style of yoga practice and teaching named after the manner in which B.K.S. Iyengar practiced and taught. We have won a court decision supporting our position. If you would like to know more, please see Court Decision
Schedule: Iyengar Yoga
- Monday 17:50—19:20 — Intermediate | Ramón Clares
- Monday 20:00—21:30 — General | Ramón Clares
- Tuesday 11:00—12:30 — General | Fernando
- Wednesday 11:00—12:30 — General | Ramón Clares
- Wednesday 17:50—19:20 — General | Ramón Clares
- Wednesday 20:00—21:30 — Intermediate | Ramón Clares
- Thursday 15:30—17:00 — General | Fernando
- Friday 11:00—12:30 — General | Ramón Clares
- Friday 14:15—15:45 — Advanced | Ramón Clares
- Saturday 10:30—12:00 — General | Fernando
Upcoming Training Courses
- Saturday October 05, '19. Teacher Iyengar Yoga . Monthly. 200 hours.
- Saturday October 12, '19. Instructor Iyengar Yoga. Monthly. 200 hours.